8 Most Important Google Ranking Factors in 2018
BackLinko, a popular SEO Blog, recently published their Google’s 200 Ranking Factors: The Complete List (2018). Yes, Google now uses over 200 factors in their search ranking algorithm.
Their report lists 209 Google ranking factors. The most important
Google Ranking Factors
- Content Quality: Google Caffeineupdates favor recent content and updated existing content. That’s why you often see the first date of publication on SERP results. Fresh content is favored over old and stale content.Frequent page updates demonstrates freshness. Citing good sources and references are a sign of quality according to the Google Quality Guidelines.
- Trust Rank: Based on BackLinko examining a recently-filed Google Patent, search results based on trustis a vital factor. One way to gain trust, according to a recent industry study, is to link to authority sites to support your facts and claims. Reboot Online, a SEO marketing company, recent experiment shows outgoing links to authoritative sites resulted in more Google Top Five rankings than those who didn’t. Pages with many authority links tend to outrank pageswith no authority links. That’s why you see so many links in this article.
- Referring Domains: Links to a site from an authority (high page ranked) domain is extremely important for Google rank factors. The authority ranking of the referring domain plays a rolein the link’s value.
- Organic Click-Through-Rate: Google statesthat sites with higher click through rates get higher search rankings for the specific keyword.
- On-Page SEO: Moz, a popular SEO marketing company, claims title tags starting with a keyword ranks higher than those with the keyword towards the end. That’s why this article’s title begins with “SEO”.
- Dwell Time: The more time a visitor stays on a site, the better. High bounce rates where visitors quickly leave indicates a bad result for the keyword. SEMRush, a marketing software company, in a recent study of ranking factorsdiscovered a strong correlation between bounce rates and Google ranks.
- Mobile Usability: In 2018, over 60 percent of searches originate from mobile devices.Mobile users must easily access and navigate a site. Sites not mobile friendly are penalized by Google.Google’s mobile-first Indexingemphasizes this by ranking search listings based on the mobile version more than their desktop version.
- Total Backlinks: A SEO industry studyof 1 million Google search results shows that the volume of relevant referring domains linking to a site is still an important Google ranking factor.
Alphabet, Inc. and Facebook own the majority of online search vehicles.
SEO updates for 2018 &
Google Ranking Factors
Google Featured Snippets are here to stay. Just getting into Google Top 10 Search Rankings for a keyword isn’t good enough anymore. The lucky one who gets into the Featured Snippet gets noticed by everyone immediately.
Personalized searches (using Artificial Intelligence) guess what someone really looks for in a search query. Factors such as his/her geographic location, past search history, and web surfing enables Google to tailor search results based on what he or she likes.
Content is still King because search engine queries seek information based upon quality content. Search engines answer questions posed by users by recommending the best content.
True experts provide the best answers to search engine questions. Therefore, sites regarded as true experts on a given topic will rank higher with search engines. Don’t use amateurs and content mill factories to write your blog posts and web pages.
Topic Clusters are the new content marketing strategy for 2018. The main keyword “pillar” web page surrounds itself by numerous same or similar keyword “cluster” pages linking to the pillar page.
Mobile Devices in 2018 determine a site’s search rankings more than its desktop version.
Facebook emphasizes its News Feed content to arouse user interest who spend more time on Facebook. This requires writing more meaningful news feeds.
Google Featured Snippet is the new Top Ranked (#1) Search Result offering greater exposure than the traditional #1 organic search result listed below the featured snippet.
2018 SEO updates requires quality content, website trust, referring authority domains, higher click through rates, longer dwell time, mobile usability, more relevant backlinks, and superior on-page SEO.
In a Nutshell
In 2018, your blog and website needs to follow google ranking factor :
Superior content writers to help your site achieve higher Google search rankings. Your site needs “true expert” content. Your content needs to link to good sources and references. Viewers need to dwell on your site improving click-through-rates because the content interests and informs them.
Topic Clusters to push keywords into higher rankings.
Featured Snippets inclusion to increase your site viewability.
Superior Facebook News Feeds content increasing exposure.
Improving Content Quality for your blog and website should obtain higher Google Search Rankings, inclusion in Google Featured Snippets, and the ability to gain Trust from your viewers in 2018.
Credit – Steven Rich, MBA